Monday, September 18, 2006

Japan Toy Museum

The Japan Toy Museum is located about 10 km northeast of Himeji city. This is not a favorite tourist spot, but I decided to have look as I used to teach kids back in my country.

The museum is dedicated for old-fashioned toys from various countries, although there is a section for new toys as well. The museum possesses about 80,ooo toys from 140 countries.








The usual visitors are children accompanied by their grandparents, so the receptionist was a bit curious about my visit. A brief self introduction (that I am a traveling student insterested in toys and kids :o)) resulted in a personally guided tour by the director of the museum, Mr. Shigeyoshi Inoue.

Inoue-san is a kind and nice person. He explained to me how he built the museum starting from his personal toy collection, and many other things.

After I finished seeing the toys, Inoue-san had a few presents waiting for me: two books written by him about toys, and two Japanese dolls (one of which belonged to a very old collection).






Sorry for the lack of close-up photos; flashes are not allowed inside the museum. Please visit the official web site for more details. If you are interested in toys, this place is definitely worth a visit.

Finally, one guideline for traveling in Japan. Travel off the beaten track, and talk to people!

2 comments:

Bean said...

These are gorgeous. Glad to see you are adding a bit more text to your posts, it's great to get a bit more of an insight on the places you are visiting :)

Chaminda (GC) said...

Thanks a lot for the comment. Not that I did not have things to write, I was not sure how much detail I should add. Will try to improve on it from now.